This Grief and Loss Journal is a companion to the unforgettable story “The Invisible String” by Patrice Karst. It gives students the opportunity to explore, process, and heal from the death of a loved one.
⭐ THIS RESOURCE INCLUDES:
✅ A digital for Google Slides™ interactive version of the journal with drag-and-drop activities and fillable text boxes
✅ A printable version of the journal with full color and black/white versions both included
✅ Children learn:
- About the power of the Invisible String and how it connects us to those that we love
- To create a memory book with photos and text about their loved one
- To process and explore their feelings surrounding their loss
- To ask questions so they can better understand their loss
- How grief looks and feels in their body, mind, and spirit
- How to express their feelings and needs
- The 5 Stages of Grief (adapted from Kubler-Ross for children)
- 8 coping strategies for grief and loss
- To create a bracelet in memory of their loved one
- That grief can feel like a maze when we get “stuck’ in our feelings
- To write an acrostic poem for their loved one
✂️ NOTES: I recommend having a copy of “The Invisible String” story on hand. Younger students may need assistance with reading and writing their responses.
❤️ You may also love “The Invisible String Workbook” created by Patrice Karst and Dana Wyss.
[This resource was created with permission from the author, Patrice Karst.]